8/11/2011

...that organized bowling could very well be golden again.

As a professional problem solver I usually use everyday problems as pro-bono work. I especially like to offer advice concerning areas of life that have an affect on my family, friends, and myself. Unfortunately, not a whole lot of entities listen or even hear my solutions. Their loss, I guess it would behoove them to have someone to research 5 hours a week.

So, today I look at the bowling problem. It is fresh in my mind as new winter leagues begin and summer leagues end. I bowled the last week in my bowling league today for the summer time and sat through our end of season meeting and payout.

As a director of the local Men's Association I tend to "sit and watch" these proceedings to help get a better understanding of how things are or aren't working.

Tonight, there was no house representative in the meeting to provide assistance with bowlers looking to bowl in the next set of leagues. There was no vote to see what teams were coming back. There was no asking of particular bowlers if they were to continue bowling next year. No one from the bowling center thanked us or asked us to come back.

After we were done and I had seen enough, I made sure and went and checked with a few bowlers I saw that hadn't bowled in a very long time or were newer bowlers. I asked them if they had a good time and made sure they understood that bowling loves them as much as they love bowling and if they couldn't find anyone to bowl with this winter I could probably point them in the right direction.

They were grateful as was I. I hate to see bowlers come back for a summer league after taking 12 years off just to feel like an outcast. I can't watch a brand new bowler average 102 after 48 games and not ask them if they would like some help on basic techniques or learn how to pick up a ten pin. Unfortunately, there are only about 25 people that care like me in an entire area with 3000+ members. And, amazingly, most of those 25 people do NOT work at a bowling center. We are caring people who also enjoy bowling.

So, as a pro-bono gift to all you center managers, some of you directly asked this, I have compiled a short to - do list at times of transitioning bowlers. And remember! If they pay $10 a night for 32 weeks they are worth $700 a piece to you! (Lineage * Weeks * Concessions = $700)

1) Decide the market you want to return to your establishment. - You know you want business, but you also know what business you want more. Now is the time to get organized when you don't have the problem of having to find bowlers. They are going to be around at the end of the season. Spectators even increase at this point.

2) Engage the target market you established. - Don't ignore other bowlers but definitely make an effort to see those bowlers you WANT back and more of the same kind! If you still haven't figured out who they are:

a) Leaders - These are not necessarily just your league officers but also your captains and association members and bowlers that other bowlers look up to.

b) Followers - These are the bowlers who are quiet and obviously follow the leaders you just named. They are the easiest to get to fall in suit, just cater to their leaders.

c) Drinkers - These are the ones that have $10 + tabs every night they drink. They are super important.

d) Eaters - These are the ones that eat your 500% marked up food every time they drop by your bowling center. Better make sure they are happy and have a home this winter.

e) Rollers - These are probably going to bowl regardless, they average 205+ usually. The only question is are they going to bowl at your center or your competitors?

3) Listen to your target markets response - Why go through all that work you just did not to finally get your answers? IMPORTANT: WRITE THE ANSWERS DOWN AS THEY ARE SPEAKING!!!!!! LET THEM SEE YOU!

4) Formulate questions about the answers you just got - Go get an adult beverage and read your notes. Now is the time to start asking how you are going to make it right with these people and convince them they should spend their $700+ bowling bucks at your place.

5) Changes are proposed and executed - Take your proposals and meet with your teams and leadership to execute the plan. This is simple, and amazingly, with a HUGE market of highly talented out of work individuals, we still have staffs of private and corporate bowling centers under performing as if the unemployment wasn't over 10%. I guarantee you I could replace any member of a bowling center and do their job better and more efficiently than they could. Whether it be executive or wait staff. The reason is because I am PASSIONATE about work. If they are not 1/2 as passionate as I am, then maybe they should be reminded what it is like to have to earn a paycheck.

6) Watch your bowling center retain 95% of your bowlers and gain 10% new bowlers, too. For those of you that are horrible at math, if you have 100 bowlers you would come back with 95 and gain 10 new bowlers giving you 105, 5% growth. Don't laugh, I did it. In a center that was almost without room to grow, 24 lanes in a small area.

I can help you! http://www.teambruno.org

No comments:

Post a Comment