6/01/2011

Things you should avoid while driving a scooter.

Today, while I was driving to the bank on Haywood Rd. I was following a scooter. You know the ones that have no safety features, go 35 mph, and are for some ridiculous reason becoming popular here in the States?

This fantastically intelligent young man was driving a scooter heading east on Haywood Road here in Asheville, NC, 28806. We were stopped at the red light in front of the restaurant "Universal Joint" and then traffic began to move forward as the light turned green. All of a sudden, I see something shiny and "techy" fall off of him or out of his pocket onto the pavement.

He immediately turned the scooter around and parked on the side of the road and I stopped traffic with my Cadillac. As he got off his scooter to retrieve his electronic device I noticed he had a very long electric wire running up his body to his helmet. It looks as though he had an mp3 player or phone in his pocket and it just fell right out.

I would imagine that not only is this not a great idea for the longevity of your electrical devices, but if someone was not as careful as I am, this young man could have been whacked with an automobile.

So, this whole instance somewhat changes my opinion of scooters. Before, I believed that scooters were probably the most dangerous two wheel vehicle you could drive on a regular road. Now, I believe that the scooter is only as safe as the person driving it.

I guess we could break down who all purchases and drives scooters based on their reason to own and operate such a device. I would assume there are a strong number of people that is growing who choose this vehicle due to gasoline prices and environmental impact. I would assume a much LARGER number of people that is growing even faster who choose this vehicle due to not having to have a license, insurance, or registration to operate such vehicle.

I think we have a possible piece of legislation here for North Carolina. What do you think?








No comments:

Post a Comment